Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What a difference a year makes!

What a difference a year makes.  I always like looking back at pictures from the year before especially before a holiday.  With the 4th just a few days away I went back through the pictures I had on my phone.  The babies were 4 months old and starting to really show their little personalities.  Logan was loving being a big brother and had really grown in to the role of big brother.  Looking at these pictures it really hit me how much changes over the course of a year.

Logan telling Mason what to do.
Siblings
Mason trying to knock out Riley
Mason not very happy about picture time and Riley posing.  I love how Logan is trying to calm Mason down.
 
Last week Riley got her glasses and hearing aids.  She looks too cute in her glasses and I'm surprised at how unnoticeable the hearing aids are.  I really have to look closely to see if they are in or not during the day.  We've been slowly breaking her in to both of her new accessories.  Whether it's the combination or just the glasses it seems like Riley has a bit of sensory overload at times while her glasses and hearing aids are on.
 
Barely noticeable hearing aid
 
I did google startle response which is what she seems to be having and it appears to be a very common side effect after a TBI.  Many people noted in one forum that either the startle response went away over time or that it lessened as time passed.  I'm hoping this is something we can help Riley with because it is unnerving when she does it and although the neurologist doesn't believe they are seizures it still sits in the back of our minds.
 
The glasses have definitely made an impact.  As Riley was laying in her crib the other day  with her glasses on I could see quite a difference just in the way she looked at her mobile and how her eyes were more mid line and focused.  We're really hoping they provide Riley with the assistance she needs to see the world around her more clearly.
 
Wearing her glasses at PT for the first time
 
Big yawn

Last Thursday Mason had his 15 month check up.  A little late but, life's been a bit crazy!  He weighed in at almost 25 pounds and 31 1/2 inches long.  It's amazing how much our little 6 pounder has grown!  Of course his head came in around the 98th percentile which is how all of our kids heads are.  Height/Weight he's pretty average at around 65% for his age.  He had two shots and took them like a champ.  As silly as it sounds it was nice to have some one on one time with my little buddy even if it was for a pediatrician visit!
Trying to keep him entertained.
Figuring out how this thing works!
 
As we were driving home from Mason's appointment I had a call from preschool that Logan was screaming about his ear hurting.  I instantly knew it was an ear infection.  Thankfully, my mom was still at our house and picked Logan up.  I was able to drop Mason off and pick up Logan and run over to the Minute Clinic and have him seen.  We were in and out in less then 15 minutes with an antibiotic prescription and ear drops.  Poor kid had a double ear infection.  We then headed back home and I unloaded Logan and picked up Riley and her nurse so we could head to LA to get her hearing aids.  It was probably the craziest day I've had so far! With antibiotics and ear drops Logan was feeling much better within 24 hours. 

This weekend it was hot and we spent tons of time in the pool and with family.

Uncle Scott is Mason's buddy
Pool fun with Uncle James and Uncle Scott
Just chillin

Sunday I took the boys with me and we were able to meet my friend Erica and her son Donavon for lunch.  I love how Logan interacts with Donavon.  Mason was a bit of a handful at the restaurant which reminded me of how Logan was at the same age.  I can't imagine what it would've been like to have both Riley & Mason in highchairs at a restaurant but, I sure wish I could.

Silly boys
Mason hanging out with the big boys



We'll be doing much of the same this coming weekend and we're looking forward to relaxing before starting the crazy hecticness all over again on Monday.  Next week along with therapies Riley will be getting botox in her legs (as long as it is delivered to her doctor on time).  I am curious to see how this helps her muscles.  I also can't believe my 16 month old is getting botox before me!  It is a very common treatment for CP patients.  Some say it works, others don't think it makes much of a difference.  Riley has been much more relaxed the past few weeks though so I think this will only help her more.  From what I've read it can help out in therapies allowing therapists to stretch the specific muscles more and helps to improve range of motion and tolerance of braces.  Like I've said before we will do anything to help our baby girl.  I'm hopeful that this will be another part of her overall therapy package and that we can see some positive results from the botox.  We shall see!


We hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July and spend it with those that you love.

Fight on!

Love,
Dave, Megan, Logan, Mason and Courageous Riley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment