Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Happy Times

I can honestly tell you that the happy events and happy times that we have in our life really keep us going when we feel like we just need a break or time out from where our life stands right now.

This past weekend was one of those happy events and I really enjoyed being a part of Leane & Patrick's wedding.

It was a beautiful Southern California day.  Not too hot with a nice breeze and Leane was a stunning bride.


Mr. Logan did a fabulous job as the ring bearer and mommy & daddy were very proud of him.  It's hard to predict how a 4 1/2 year old is going to act when put on "stage" and aside from starting to unbutton his shirt in the middle of the ceremony and a few bored looks here and there he did pretty well!

                                                       Hanging out before the wedding.

I had fun getting to know some of Leane's friends that I may have met here and there over the years but, never really got a chance to talk to in any great length.  It was also fun having my hair and makeup done.  What girl doesn't love that?

After the ceremony ended the USC Trojan Marching Band was there to greet the bride & groom and play a few songs.  Every wedding needs a visit from the band!

Logan went home before the reception really got going with my mom.  We were able to enjoy a kid free night and we both had a great time.  Thanks mom!  And thank you Leane & Patrick for allowing me to be such a special part of your day.  Like I said in my speech I hope you always treat her like the queen she is Patrick and that you both have a lifetime filled with happiness and tomorrows.  Oh and Fight On! :)


Sunday Uncle Brad was in town again and was able to come over with Grammie and Pa Doug for a little bbq.  My mom's birthday is on Friday so we had a cake and sang to Grammie.  It was the perfect end to a wonderful weekend!
Logan ready to blow out Grammie's candle!
Explaining to Pa Doug what Skylanders is all about!
                                                                        Bottle time!

Monday we were back to our new normal and Riley had her 15 month check up with her pediatrician and had to get another shot.  We've been trying to space out her vaccinations just to make sure they don't react to any of the medications that she is currently on and due to the fact that Riley's little body has been through so much over the past almost 5 months.  She was weighed and measured as well.  Her % percentile charts still look much the same as they were before her illness.  She's our girly girl and usually comes in around the 15-20% percentile as far as height and weight.  Her head on the other hand is always in the 95%+ percentile.  What can I say all of our kids have huge heads!

We'll take her back in 2 weeks for a weight check and another shot.  Thankfully, Mason's 15 month appointment was already scheduled for two weeks from Monday and they were able to fit Riley in at the same time.  It will save us from running back and forth to the pediatrician.  We also talked to the doctor about increasing Riley's formula intake.  She's really on a very little amount of formula and I figure trying to increase it and watching to see how she reacts will be another tool we can use to make sure we don't want to proceed with her fundo procedure.  I also think she needs to gain more weight so we'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Today my mom and Mason met me at Logan's school and we watched his end of the year gymnastics show.  I've been hearing about his show for weeks and it was so cute to watch Logan and his classmates bouncing on the mats and showing off for their families.  Mason loved seeing his big brother perform and Logan loved entertaining him from afar. 
Logan's new cheeseball smile!
Cheese with Grammie
Class picture!

Tomorrow morning Riley will have a visit from an intake coordinator for the infant stim program that will be provided to her through Regional Center. This is another piece of the therapy puzzle and I am happy the ball is rolling to start these services.

So far so good off of the baclofen so we are crossing everything we can hoping this means Riley is off of the medication for good.  It's been 10+ days and aside from a little shaking in her limbs Riley is more alert and has even smiled at us.  I've been waiting for her to smile for almost 5 months.  That's a long time to miss out on smiles from your baby girl.  A therapist along the way once told us that she had noticed that once a patient smiled their recovery seemed to really start to take off.  I've held my breath waiting for the day.  Patience is NOT my strong suit but, Riley is teaching me each day that I can have patience just by believing in her.

Although our days are chaotic and stressful and we don't know what tomorrow will bring we are thankful to have the family and friends that we do.  As I watched the coverage yesterday of the Tornado in Oklahoma I was reminded of how blessed we are.  I know that one of the answers that I often give when asked how we get through each day is that we have Riley with us and that makes each day a gift no matter which way you look at it.  My mind wandered to the what ifs last night and I had to quickly remind myself that each day we spend loving Riley and fighting for her is a day we were given that others don't get.  So Fight On!  Thanks for the love and support and keep the families in Oklahoma in your prayers.

Love,
Dave, Megan, Logan, Mason and Courageous Riley!

No comments:

Post a Comment